odbc advice?

don donald.braman at yale.edu
Thu May 9 16:11:48 EDT 2002

I'm trying to update table in a SQL Server 2000 database. The following (and
other similar) code hangs Python about half of the time when I run it and
then, once hung, will hang every time until I reboot. Does anyone have any
tips on handling odbc connections in Python? I've been hunting around for a
while, but haven't found descriptions of hangs like this. My reference of
choice (Python Web Programming) tells me the ODBC driver isn't ready for
prime-time. I'm not sure I have any other options, though. Any help
appreciated. -Don

import dbi, odbc

conn = odbc.odbc('mydb')

cur = conn.cursor()

cur.execute("""UPDATE Cases SET Cases.Opinion = NULL WHERE
updateopinion=1""")