Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon May 6 07:48:15 EDT 2002

>>> Roy Smith wrote
> So, a while ago, I started on a major Perl project of my own.  Decided to
> do it right, with modules to do various tasks, OOP, etc.  You know what?  I
> still hate it.  The language is certainly a lot better when you use good
> program design techniques, but it's still pretty ugly.

That's pretty much the experience I had. Something like 10-12K LOC, all nice
and OO and packages and stuff, and I reckon around 25% of the code was
debugging to make sure that the wrong piece of line noise hadn't trashed
a data structure.

That was the last perl I ever worked on, and I can't imagine that I'd ever
take a job that required I write or maintain perl ever again. Life's too
damn short.

Anthony