Rationals and Linear Programming in Python

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun May 12 13:24:33 EDT 2002

Noah Spurrier wrote:
> I've also seen a few rational modules, but many of them looked old.
> It was hard to tell what has the most active development and support.

gmpy (gmpy.sf.net) does look old -- I haven't even released a Windows
binary for Python 2.2 (because I don't normally use Windows any more
since before Python 2.2 came out).  But it is in regular use and pretty
fast (thanks to the underlying GMP, of course).  No time to spiffy it
up, but I'll be very glad to help with any actual issues (finding a
way to get you a Windows 2.2 binary if you don't have MSVC++ for ex.).

The rationals in gmpy are type gmpy.mpr, by the way.

I hear Marc Andre Lemburg has a spiffier-looking GMP wrapper as one
of his mx.* goodies, but haven't looked into it -- I'd assume it could
probably meet your needs just as well as gmpy could, though.

Alex