duh - which Python?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu May 2 06:22:23 EDT 2002

Nick Belshaw wrote:

> Hi - I would be very grateful for a little advice.
>
> I am configuring a new Linux RedHat7.2 box and have become
> confused about which Python vesion I should go for.
>
> I need it to run with Zope, Pmw, Blt, Postgres - at least......
>
> I have been using old stuff with 1.5.2 but thought an upgrade would be
> 'fun'

Fun AND worthwhile, but DON'T uninstall 1.5.2 itself -- RedHat has
some stuff that depends on it specifically, I hear (not an issue for
other Linux distros, just a RH-specific one).  Can't help you with
Zope (I believe it needs 2.1.* currently) nor Pmw/Blt.  Postgres
(with psycopg) seems fine under 2.1.* or 2.2.* just as well.

Alex