A vision for Parrot

Daniel Pfeiffer occitan at esperanto.org
Tue Nov 5 16:10:04 EST 2002

Hi,

this morning it struck me that it would be nice to have Parrot not only run Perl 6 and similar byte code, but that any of the common interpreted languages be compiled to this same byte code.

Then no matter whether running a Perl 6, Python, Ruby, Tcl maybe even bash script the same interpreter library would be used.  Then likely it would already be in memory speeding up start time.

And this would also ease cross language module/library inclusion.  Imagine instantiating some Python class from Perl!

Apache would essentially have a mod_parrot.  Maybe, if this can be tested very hard, we'd even have a Parrot kernel module for all Unices supporting that.  Then exec() could perform compiled scripts right away, like machine code :-)

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
 -- http://dapfy.bei.t-online.de/make.pl/