Popular conceit about learning programming languages

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Thu Nov 21 12:03:48 EST 2002

Michele Simionato wrote:

> It is true that you can read the Python tutorial in couple of hours,
> "understand" most of it and start immediately programming in Python.
[...]
> It takes a much longer time to become to *think* in Python. I started
> six months ago and I am still in the process of adapting my way of
> thinking to the language. This is much harder than adapting the language
> to your way of thinking. But eventually you must do it if you really
> want to understand the language.

Could you try to describe what it means to you to think in Python? What
makes it different from thinking in other languages? (This is not a
rhetorical question!)

> Final thought: different persons have different way of thinking.
> Different programming languages have different philosophies. It is not
> strange at all that when you find a language that fits you mind, it is
> *for you* much easier to learn than other languages.

Good point!

Pascal

--
Given any rule, however ‘fundamental’ or ‘necessary’ for science, there
are always circumstances when it is advisable not only to ignore the