Why not a, b += i, j? (augmented assignment via tuple unpacking)

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Nov 27 05:35:55 EST 2002

Steven Rumbalski <srumbalski at prodigy.net> writes:

> In python I can write:
>
> a, b = i, j
>
> but the following is not legal:
>
> a, b += i, j
>
> Is there a reason that allowing this would be bad?

Well, as others have said it's not totally clear what it does (though
I thought it pretty obvious what you meant).

> Why does Python forbid this?

It would probably be a swine to implement, for one thing...  I did the
grammar hacks for augmented assignment back in 2000 and allowing this
didn't even occur to me.

Cheers,
M.

--
  : Giant screaming pieces of excrement, they are.
  I have a feeling that some of the people in here have a