wxPython program failing after upgrade

Blake Garretson blakeg at metalink.net
Wed Nov 13 19:26:49 EST 2002

I upgraded to wxPython 2.3.3.1 using the precompiled win32 binary, and now
my wx program won't work.  (I previously used 2.3.2.1)  I'm using a DC
client to draw some graphics, and it fails when it goes to refresh the
screen.  Here's the error that shows up in a popup dialog:

"""
c:\projects\wx\src\msw\dcclient.cpp(216): assert "wxFalse" failed: wxPaintDC
may be created only in EVT_PAINT handler!
Do you want to stop the program?
"""

(By the way, that path doesn't exist on my machine!)

Then another error gets printed to stderr:

"""
  File "C:\Python222\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\gdi.py", line 607, in
DrawText
    val = apply(gdic.wxDC_DrawText,(self,) + _args, _kwargs)
OverflowError: long int too large to convert to int
"""

I haven't changed the program at all.  Just to be sure, I reinstalled Python
2.2.2 and then wxPython, and still no luck.  I even tried the Unicode and
ANSI versions!  Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks,
Blake Garretson