Issue with new-style classes and operators

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 27 13:20:23 EST 2002

"Jan Decaluwe" <jan at jandecaluwe.com> wrote in message
news:3DE48ECC.8FC9AE53 at jandecaluwe.com...
> Ok, let me explain better. Suppose - for the sake of the
> argument - that I have a legitimate need for mutable numbers.

To me, the concept 'mutable number' doesn't 'compute'  very well.

A label or pointer that is attached to or points to different
(eternally existing) numbers at different times (a 'variable') make
sense, and we have such.

A container whose number contents change also make sense, and we also
have that.

One could regard a count as a (changeable) collection of units, but
that is similar to the above and can be modeled either with list or
set/dict.

So what do you mean by mutable number, such that it could be needed
but not available today?

Terry J. Reedy