Odd problem with Wing IDE & PythonForDelphi extensions

animeshk animeshk at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 9 10:38:02 EST 2002

I am encountering an oddity with the Wing IDE and Delphi extensions
written using PythonForDelphi.  These problems do not happen when
running in a Python command prompt, and they do not happen with
running within PythonWin.

Basically, I took the PythonForDelphi example where you create a new
Python data type (a "Point", created with a "CreatePoint" function in
the Delphi DLL).  I put this code in a DLL, and wrote the appropriate
"init" function for Python.  Cool.  It worked at the command line.
However, if I ran this within the Wing IDE, I get a "Debugging Stopped
Unexpectedly" error:

"Error: The debug connection closed unexpectedly while waiting for
reply type 0x1011 after message type 0x70001:
Runtime failure details:
Exception: socket.error
Value = (10054, 'winsock error')

Of course, I'm not using winsock at all.

I also encountered this same error when I used the PythonForDelphi
example for accessing the database from a DLL.  I've seen this in both
Delphi 7 and Delphi 6.

I realize that this isn't enough information: if anyone would like the
source for the DLL, for testing, let me know.

Does anyone know what this might mean?  Is this a Wing IDE bug?

Thanks!