Installing dislin (scientific data plotting software)

eric hagemann ehagemann at comcast.net
Tue Nov 12 20:03:55 EST 2002

Turhan,

    Did you direct dislin to that particular directory location ?  It is my experience that dislin installs itself in c:\dislin vice c:\program files\dislin.  I would remove and reinstall, letting it go to the default.  Your symptoms indicate that you are having problems with spaces in the directory names.

    I currently have dislin 8 running with the exact set of packages -- and it works fine

Cheers
Eric

  "Turhan Ozen" <txo at cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message news:3DD12A29.8B34ED2C at cs.nott.ac.uk...
  I downloaded dl-80-py.zip and after unzipping, I installed dislin, then I added the following lines to the autoexec.bat:
  SET DISLIN = c:\program files\dislin
  SET PYTHONPATH = C:\program files\dislin\python

  But It seems that I have not installed it properly. When I choose the dislin or readme files from from the windows2000's start>programs>dispy, I get an error message dialogue box with the title "readme" and message "Open error in c:\program".  When I try to use dislin in python it either crashes (doesn't respond and I have to end the program or gives the same dialogue box output or just quits python. I can import the dislin module but I can't use the plot function. And if I go to the dislin/python folder and double-click on the sample python files there the graphs are plotted. One more item that I want to mention is I use windows extensions to python (win32all-148). Numerical Python (Numeric-22.0.win32-py2.2) is the only other module installed at the moment.

  I would be most grateful if you could explain to me what is wrong and what I could do in order to be able to use dislin or direct me to a source that contains the answer to my problem.

  Best regards,
  Turhan