Python documentation in DocBook

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Nov 15 08:07:48 EST 2002

anton at vredegoor.doge.nl (Anton Vredegoor) writes:

> Of course the PSF has to be careful to not accept potential poisonous
> contributions but it is the responsibility of the PSF to thoroughly
> check legal problems and the contributor should not be burdened with
> these matters. If the contributor contributes code using a BSD license
> for the code, the code should be compatible to the Python license or
> else the Python license itself would not be compatible to BSD.

I think if the contributor contributes under any other but the Python
license, we would ask him to reconsider, and license it (to us) under
the Python license.

> Yes you should be careful, but be careful by checking the code and
> it's license. If you start assuming people to be taking advantage
> unless they can proove that they are not you miss a lot of chances.

This is unclear. People who want to contribute are, in my experience,
very open to suggestions for changing their licenses - unless they are
bound already by other obligations. In that case, we will have to
consider whether Python should be bound by the same obligations.

> >So anonymous contributions are clearly out of question.
>
> I hope I gave an example of someone not being able to contribute as
> you asked about in a previous post, although it's a situation
> occurring only for the very few people that care about these matters
> :-)

Yes, I do acknowledge that problem: and it did cause contributors to
withdraw their contribution (in most cases, because they could not get
the necessary clearance from their company).

That is a serious issue, but independent from the issue of the
documentation processing tool chain.

> 128 bits of type checking is not pythonic and will severely limit the
> set of possible interactions with your clients. I am not discussing
> data: I am discussing protocols.

The please elaborate: You have no problems with giving some of your
private data to SourceForge, but you are concerned about the specific
protocol mechanism?

Can you please elaborate? In what specific scenarious would the
protocol be inadequate?

Regards,
Martin