Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Fri Nov 29 18:22:08 EST 2002

maney at pobox.com wrote:
> Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>One of Lisp's _lethal_ failings is that anyone not using Emacs (or
>>something like Emacs) is a second class citizen. The decision to
>>require a programmer to use a special editor is a fatal one.
>

> But perhaps an unavoidable one.

I have been doing CL nonstop for seven years and have yet to learn
Emacs, tho I /did/ use MCLs emacs-like editor and I do have ACLs editor
in "Emacs mode". But this just has to do with the key combos being the
same, not the whole nine yards. and with acl i do not even have to do
emacs mode.

No matter what Lisp IDE you use (LW, ACL, Corman, MCL) you'll get a
Lisp-aware editor, the way IDLE is Python-aware.

> I have never before seen the true reason
> Lisp's annoying parentheses-plagued syntax has persisted, let alone why
> it might be worth putting up with.

If you ever get out of the starting blocks, the parentheses will
disappear (but make editing much easier). Python code looks nice and
clean thx to the indentation thang, but Lisp code is self-indenting thx
to the parens. ie, I can select as big a function I like and just say
re-indent, and I'm done. And because Lisp is self indenting, when i hit
tab (telling it to reindent that line, not insert a tab) I can see at
one if I have typed too few or not enough parens. This happens rarely
because any matching parens is highlighted after I type a parens, so I
just look around if I lose track or get way deep into an expression and
need several parens to get out.

The bottom line is that no regular Lisper is bothered by parens and in
fact we all prefer them thanks to their facilitation of editing chunks
of code (by double-clicking a form of any size).

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc