old SimpleXMLRPCLib classes

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Mon Nov 4 17:30:11 EST 2002

> No, it doesn't, because I didn't know of this page or, apparently,
> grok the real purpose of system.methodSignature; I thought it
> documented the signature of the underlying (Python) callable, not the
> xmlrpc method itself.

> I can't find definitive specs for the system
> methods -- most web resources cite the currently nonexistent
> http://xmlrpc.usefulinc.com/doc/reserved.html -- but I now see
> that Eric Kidd's listMethods implementation is probably meant to
> behave as you suggest.

Yeah, it's weird that that URL is no longer valid. Fortunately I was
privileged enough to read it before it died :-)

> My module may be correct were it to implement system.methodHelp so
> that it return both the Python method signature (as opposed to the
> xmlrpc method signature) and the docstring, while ceasing to
> automatically implement system.methodSignature; but should I bother?
> Does anyone actually call this method programmatically as part of a
> discovery routine, or is it only useful as human-readable
> documentation, in which case conformance to the "spec", such as it is,
> is arguably not of great importance?

In my implementation, I don't include the signature with
system.methodHelp. My feeling was that most python doc strings include
the method signature, if it is relevant.

I'm not sure that anyone uses system.methodSignature, but I wouldn't use
that name if the used is non-standard.

Cheers,
Brian