Proposal: min(None, x) and max(None, x) return x

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Fri Nov 22 16:51:00 EST 2002

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, holger krekel wrote:

> Dave Brueck wrote:
> > > Opinions anyone?
> >
> > Sure! Write two functions, and put them in your sitecustomize.py file. No
> > PEPs to write, no patches to submit, no battles to win, and you get all
> > the functionality you want _today_.
>
> This reasoning is a bit broad and could be applied to many new ideas.
> Which doesn't mean it's wrong :-)

Yeah... since the OP was fishing for opinions I decided to give mine,
which is simply that there should be a really compelling reason to change
the language, doubly so when, as you pointed out, backwards compatibility
is affected. And since he's already calling a function (min/max) anyway,
it doesn't look like there's a ton to be gained by the change.

Just my 2 cents,
-Dave