Does Python (or psyco) already do this optimisation?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Nov 21 11:16:47 EST 2002

    Mike> Any idea (anyone) whether the outlined approach has been attempted
    Mike> for global-variable access optimisation?  i.e. is this an explored
    Mike> and deemed-dead path, or something new?

Check PEPs 266 and 267.  I don't think it's necessarily dead-end.  It's
proven to be a damned hard problem so far though.  Jeremy and I led a
developer's day session on optimization at the February 2002 Python
conference.  Jeremy's approach has come much farther than mine since then
(as in I didn't do anything).  Check the python-dev archives for the
February-April 2002 timeframe for more discussion on the subject.

Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com
http://www.mojam.com/
http://www.musi-cal.com/