wxPython or PyQt

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Wed Nov 6 12:35:57 EST 2002

Serge,
I've just been going thru this same question myself
trying to decide which way to go. wxPython / PyQt and
have decided to go the PyQt way for my first adventures
in python/GUI. I've both running on my system now
Here's a couple of things I've noted.....

wxPython is a wrapper around wxWindows which is a wrapper
around (ie.) GTK.
PyQt is a wrapper around Qt.
Installing and Compiling all the way to wxPython was a pain.

There's really no "free" ide like qtdesigner in wxPython.
PyQt's code seems cleaner and easier to translate the
c++ doc's.

PyQt's (Qt) widgets seem better, ie... take a look at the "MDI" for
both, opps, you can't, there isn't one for wxPython running on Linux
only for win. ie. wx only takes on the native look and feel of the base
system vs Qt's builtin themeable designs, etc......

I think your right, the lic. issues was the hardest thing that keep
drawing me back and forth when trying to decide between the two.
But.... when I really thought about it, I'll really be working only on linux
anyway.

The user base for wxPython is quite good and is being updating.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing what other people thing too.