A really bad idea.

Achim Domma achim.domma at syynx.de
Thu Nov 14 10:50:45 EST 2002

"M" <marvelan at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c0abefc3.0211140738.635c0e6d at posting.google.com...
> Just a few examples...
> The new enumerate or zip function. If you look at the code using this
function
> it is not at all obvious what the code does. Let say a programmer that
knows
> 10 other languages looks at this code. I don't think he would right away
> understand what this function does. This construct is not obvious.
Generators
> are another thing that are just horrible. They just don't work in a way
> that one would expect from previous experience.
[...]
> I hope this is not a start of adding powerfull and hard to understand
> features to Python.

As mentioned in other threads one should learn python if one would like to
develop in python. I think you should make a difference between features
which are hard to understand and features which are usually not found in
other languages. In my opinion enumerate, zip and generators are not hard to
understand, but they might be uncommon. But they give you the power to
express concepts in their natural way. Another example is list
comprehension: If you are used to it, they are nearly plain english, but I
know people who prefer writing loops over multiple lines, only because they
are used to do it this way and don't want to learn something new.

regards,
Achim