A vision for Parrot

Donal K. Fellows fellowsd at cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Nov 15 06:52:11 EST 2002

Benjamin Goldberg <goldbb2 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Donal K. Fellows wrote:
>> OK, what sequence of bytecodes would instantiate and invoke those
>> layers?  The expositions I've found online so far have been rather
too
>> dry for me to actually see how such a thing could be done.
>
> Umm, err, I don't know... I've merely looked (briefly) at the docs and
> source of Parrot, and never programmed for it.  But <handwave>I'm sure
> that it *can* be done</handwave>.

I'm *fairly* sure it can be done.  I was just trying to evaluate
whether it could be done with a reasonably small input of effort or
whether it was going to be a really big porting job.  (Everything I've
seen so far makes me think that it will be enough effort that I'll
leave it to someone with a commercial interest in having things work
together.)

>> Donal (fed up of hand-waving, particularly in his day job.  Must
write
>> code...)
>
> Sorry about the handwaving, but it's the best I can offer.  If it can't
> be done now, someone will add it in the future.

It's just that given the size of the semantic disconnect between Tcl
and Parrot, it's pretty clear to me that there's going to be great
amounts of C code (or some other language, I suppose) involved in
building a bridge between the two.  Hence my intense interest in
seeing how this might be done, and my irritation at someone saying
"oh, it must be possible".  And I was feeling frustrated at cow-orkers
that day too...  ;^)

Donal (posting through Google due to sucky local news-server.)
--
[This space unintentionally left blank.]