Image merging within python - based tool (maybe OT)

R. Charles Henry trapforcannedmeatproduct at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 9 23:45:21 EST 2002

I'd like to ask the group's advice.

My situation: I have two separate document images, both of the same
format .png, .bmp, .jpg, or .tif. They are otherwise identical in size
and file characteristics, having been produced from a larger-than-A4
document using an A4 flatbed scanner. Each image contains a region of
'overlap' with the other.

I need to find an open-source 'mosaicking' or 'blending' codebase,
which will be capable of accepting both input images, and merging them
to reproduce an image of the original larger-than-A4 document.

This code is to be used within a tool I am creating using python, &
I'd like to avoid the neccessity of having to manually set reference
points on the input images. The code itself that I'm searching for
doesn't need to be python, just accessible from it.

Since the input images are 'flat', I don't require such features as
projection adjustment etc, I just need some form of basic automatic
'merging'.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Any pointers at all would be very
gratefully received.

TIA