Uninstalling Python 2.1.3 hosed Outlook Express

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Nov 17 12:07:57 EST 2002

[Edward K. Ream]
> I just did a vanilla uninstall of Python 2.1.3, which was
> installed normally from Python-2.1.3.exe a few days ago without
> "rollback", IIRC.  Afterwards the file msoe.dll could not be
> initialized, so Outlook Express could not be run.  No big deal;

It would be to me, *if* there were a plausible connection.  But there are no
other reports of this (or anything like it), and the PLabs installer doesn't
muck with any system DLLs apart from msvcrt.dll.  The latter is refcounted
by MS's software, so would not be deleted unless nothing was using it
anymore; even then, the uninstaller would pop up a dialog box asking whether
you wanted to delete it.

> downloading and installing the OE service pack appears to have fixed
> everything.  Thought someone would like to know.  I'm using XP,
> the latest service packs.

I've noted it, but you should assume the problem was due to something
lse  -- I do <wink>.