Patrick W patrickw106 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 21 18:42:57 EST 2002

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> I don't WANT to use a language that lets me redesign it -- worse, I
> most definitely don't want to use a language that lets _others_
> redesign it, and find myself stuck using and supporting half a dozen
> different (and mostly badly designed) languages in as many disparate
> projects.  If my purpose in life was to experiment with programming
> languages, I would surely feel differently; but it's not.

Fair enough too!

For personal hacks, I *love* to use a language that lets me redesign
it without inflicting pain on anyone else.  In a group setting I'd
prefer to use Python or 'vanilla' CL for most purposes.

Macros are excellent for tinkerers (like me) and for experts like
language designers.  If the two uses are kept distinct (experimenting
with ideas vs writing macros for other people's consumption in order
to evolve a language), there is no problem.  But I agree the
*potential* for hubris is great, and potentially deadly. ;-)

> So, I do miss multiple dispatching, which would let me avoid this
> infrastructure building just like I can avoid it in the more common
> single dispatch case.
>
> But I don't miss it ENOUGH to wish that Python had macros (shudder)...:-).
> Not by a long shot, in fact...

Same here.  It's Lisp AND Python for me.  Not OR.