Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 8 14:12:55 EST 2002

Eddie Corns wrote:

>>I don't know much about Python, but I looked at this comparison
>>between Python and Common Lisp (
>>http://www.norvig.com/python-lisp.html ), and I couldn't help but
>>wonder why Python is popular, while Common Lisp and Scheme aren't?
>
> My opinion (the short version anyway) is that because Python is a lot easier
> to learn and use.  It's a bit like the difference between a point and click
> camera and a 'real' one - to use a 'real' camera for even a simple photo you
> need to understand the whole biz.  However, unlike some languages I won't
> mention, Python does its best to give the max. power (of Scheme,Haskell
> etc.) for the max. ease of use.

Flawed analogy, I think.

I'd rather say: python is like a modern SLR with full auto modes: you can use
it like a point'n'shoot, but still get very good results and the benefit of
good lenses and a sophisticated exposure system. But once you move the dial
to the 'manual' zone (P,Tv,Av,M for the photo-buffs) you are on your own,
with as much control as you want (from simple adjustments in P to full manual
in M).

So in python the beginner feels comfortable, but he can grow into
sophisticated things without the tool _ever_ getting in his way. That's why
the point'n'shoot analogy is bad: in that case, the tool gets in your way and
limits what you can do.

If you want, Pascal is the point'n'shoot of programming languages: easy for
beginners, utterly useless for serious work (yes, I wrote tons of pascal back
in the day,  so I know what I'm talking about).

Lisp feels more like a viewcamera. You can't get _anything_ done unless you
understand the fundamentals very well. But if you do, there are some very
fancy things you can do.

Cheers,

f.