PEP #99484663

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Nov 10 02:10:18 EST 2002

Russell Nelson wrote:

> In this manner, people who are unable to wean themselves from silly
> syntactic block structure tokens will be happy with Python, rather
> than continually whinging about how horrible it is that indentation is
> meaningful to the program.

Indentation in Python is done differently than those other languages.
If someone's migrating from one of them, they should learn to use the
language they're using, not try to make the language they're using more
like what they're used to.

This is the some kind of (in my opinion obnoxious) approach that leads
Pascal programs to ease into C with the likes of

	#define begin {
	#define end }

Program in the language you're using.  The proper answer to "How do I
make language X (which I'm learning) more like language Y (which I'm
used to)?" is "Learn language X separately from language Y."

/  \ You win the victory when you yield to friends.
\__/ Sophocles
    Maths reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/maths/
 A mathematics reference.