PyQwt

Jim jbublitzNO at SPAMnwinternet.com
Fri Nov 1 12:46:19 EST 2002

Mark wrote:
> Jim wrote:

>>I don't know how gentoo packages PyQt, but it isn't possible
>>any longer to build PyQt without the sip files (unless someone

> Ah, this might be the problem.  If the PyQT distribution has the .sip
> files but they aren't necessary after PyQT is built, they may not
> get installed anywhere.  Might that be the case?

Sounds like it. The sip files (portable) are used to
generate the cpp/h files (platform specific), and
then the cpp files are compiled to build the actual
bindings libs. PyQt no longer needs the sip files
when that's done, but any other PyQt based bindings
(PyKDE and I presume PyQwt) need the PyQt sip files
kind of like the way cpp files need h files from a
lib you're linking to - they're needed so that all
symbols can be resolved when sip is generating the
cpp code for the next PyQt based module.

If that is the case, you can just download the PyQt
tarball and extract the sip files. If you're using
sip 3.3.2 or 3.4 (sip -V -- the PyQt version already
installed will match that), then the current PyQt sip
files should be fine regardless of the Qt version
you're using. That means you shouldn't have to
rebuild and reinstall PyQt - just put the sip/
directory from the tarball somewhere that PyQwt
can find it.

Jim