win32: own content-type --> start python script

logistix logistix at zworg.com
Tue Nov 12 17:27:26 EST 2002

> Sorry, I think you missunderstood me:
> I don't want to execute python scripts in the browser,
> I want to pass a own data format to a script on the
> client.
>
> The data format has the following format:
>
> """
> user=foo
> password=foo
> server=http://foo.com/uploadFiles
> EOD
> Here comes the binary data ......
> """
>
> I only want to like the fileextension/content-type
> to the script on the client. The client reads the
> header (until EOD) and then starts ms-office with
> the binary data.
>
> I think it just needs some entries in the registry: like
> ".doc" is linked to "C:\programms\....\winword.exe".
>
> If the file changed the script uploads it to the server.
>
> We do this because WebDAV is not stable, and need some
> easy way to integrate ms-office into a web-application.
>
>   thomas

HKCR\MIME\Database\Content Type\

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/components/activex/registration.asp

"Registering MIME Types" would be a good place to start searching.

You might also want to consider bypassing IE and using Python's socket
module (depending on business requirements) to manipulate the info
directly.