Python documentation in DocBook

Ken Starks straton at lampsacos.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 16:42:20 EST 2002

In article <m3fzu5s1rj.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de>, Martin v.
Loewis <martin at v.loewis.de> writes
>However, it is not clear to what the value would be of completing the
>circle, given that the XML is of no use.

No use at all, if 'XML is of no use'
Much use indeed, if XML is of much use.

To me, the documentation would be much more use if it could
be customised for all-and-every kind of user. Most
of the following projects (and others, I am sure)
would be far easier with xml formatted stuff. From an
educational perspective, we should try give our
'search for documentation' the intelligence to respond:

 * by level of programming skill
    + you don't get stuff you've know for years
    + you don't get stuff that is well beyond you

 * by personal ownership:
   + you get page numbers for books you happen to own
   + you get hyper-ref links to your own journals and logs

 * by an evolutionary system of quality control
   + the membership send in their top fifty item-refs
   + the system finds other members with similar tastes
   + on that basis, they get back
        'If you liked that, you may well like this ...'

 * with extras, we can add, either in private or in public:
   + pictures and diagrams
   + collated threads from the newsgroups
       | collated by keyword, modules mentioned, author
   + snippets of code (of  local or general relevance)

--
Ken Starks