ddd debugger ignores breakpoints

Jens Wolk holla-pub at gmx.de
Wed Nov 27 16:24:58 EST 2002

Hi everybody,

on a RedHat 7.3 system I try to get ddd working for me as Python debugger.

Versions (out of the box versions of the RH distribution):
Python 2.2
ddd 3.3.1

I do so by starting the debugger with
   ddd -pydb

Then I select File->Open Source ... and navigate to an sophisticated (tm)
hello.py which contains the following lines:
print "Hello World"
print "Hello World2"

On both lines I set breakpoints and then hit "Run"-"Continue"-"Continue" ...
and the complete code is executed without stopping at a breakpoint. Why is
that so?

BTW, I evaluate ddd because I didn't find a way with pdb.py to display the
line which it will evaluate next (and some lines before and afterwards,
preferably). Is there a way to do this?

Any hints are very welcome.

Jens Wolk

Following the output of the above described session:

GNU DDD 3.3.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu), by Dorothea Ltkehaus and Andreas
Zeller.
Copyright  1995-1999 Technische Universitt Braunschweig, Germany.
Copyright  1999-2001 Universitt Passau, Germany.
(Pdb) file
/home/jenswolk/prefect_netdrive/share/bund/example_code/swap/hello.py
Hello world
Hello world2
(Pdb) break hello.py:1
Breakpoint 1, at hello.py:1.