How to generate libpython2.2.so ?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Tue Nov 26 14:33:11 EST 2002

* Nadav Horesh <NadavH at envision.co.il> [2002-11-26 18:05 +0200]:
> I compiled python 2.2.2 under RedHat 8.0 with gcc 3.2.1 using the simple
> ./configure; make combination. It all went smoothly and seems to work
> well, but it does not generate libpython2.2.so, although other shared
> libraries were generated.
>
> I looked at the README and the configure --help option but found no hints.
> Any ideas?

AFAIK it's not possible with an unpatched Python 2.2.x. With Python
2.3-CVS, however, building the shared library is the default.

Some distributions, for example the one I use, Debian, apply patches to
have Python build a shared library. So maybe you can grab a Debian
source package and try building from it.

-- Gerhard