python lists?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at tesuji.nac.uci.edu
Mon Nov 18 17:50:41 EST 2002

So are python lists real lists in the algorithmic sense, or something
more?  I just saw a binary search of a python list using the bisect
module, but it seems to me that should be something less than log2(n)
on a traditional linked list.  In fact, my first impression is that a
binary search of a linked list is likely to be worse than a linear
search.  Maybe a doubly linked list would be kinda reasonable.  Or
maybe something that's not quite a list but a weird hybrid-list-array
thing?

Just what are python lists?  And is it an implementation detail I'm
supposed to ignore for most purposes?
--
Dan Stromberg                                               UCI/NACS/DCS