python-dev Summary, 2002-11-01 through 2002-11-15

TeaAndBikkie teaandbikkie at aol.com
Wed Nov 20 08:50:35 EST 2002

>From: drifty at bigfoot.com  (Brett C.)
>
>Michael Chermside was the only person to respond directly to my
>question as to whether anyone had issue with me injecting my
>personality into the summary.  But he said to go ahead and let me
>personality permeate throughout this thing, so it will.  Let that be a
>lesson to anyone who wanted me to shut up and be drab; had you and a
>friend spoken up this little tirade would not be happening.  =)

I enjoy the style of the summary, thanks. I was even able to understand the
entire summary, which leaves me wondering whether it is due to your clear and
interesting writing style, or my growing knowledge of python :)

>`Getting python-bz2 into 2.3`__
>
>Gustavo Niemeyer asked how he should go about getting his python-bz2_
>module into the standard library.
<[...]
>It was also suggested that he provide a MSVC project file.
>
>That didn't work for Gustavo (who now has CVS write priveleges;
>congrats) since he doesn't use Windows.  This was a slight problem
>because if the extension file doesn't build under Windows it can't be
>included in the PythonLabs Windows distro.  So keep in mind that if
>your module won't directly compile for 6 different versions of Windows
>it won't be included in the Windows distro.

This restriction seems a bit unfriendly... is there any direction to getting
python compilable on/for windows with an open source compiler, eg. gcc, mingw,
etc?

regards, Misha