A vision for Parrot

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Mon Nov 4 17:14:54 EST 2002

claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
> >this morning it struck me that it would be nice to have Parrot not only
> >run Perl 6 and similar byte code, but that any of the common interpreted
> >languages be compiled to this same byte code.
> >
> >Then no matter whether running a Perl 6, Python, Ruby, Tcl maybe even
> >bash script the same interpreter library would be used.  Then likely it
> >would already be in memory speeding up start time.
> 			.
> This thought inspired enthusiasm in others long ago--from
> before it was named "Parrot", at least.

Particularly myself; in fact, it was named Parrot precisely to represent its
language-agnosticism.

The thought is also behind why I wrote the Python::Bytecode module, why I
learnt Ruby, and why I've been asking interesting questions about access to
the Ruby AST.

I don't think the reality is as far away as you imply.

--
The problem with big-fish-little-pond situations is that you
have to put up with all these fscking minnows everywhere.