segmentation fault when unpickling an object in another Python instance

Raik Gruenberg graik at web.de
Thu Nov 7 07:29:37 EST 2002

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Raik Gruenberg <graik at web.de> writes:
>

>>It's not cPickle specific - I got the same segmentation fault when
>>using normal pickle.
>>
>>Getting a minimum example will take some time and it can get quite
>>long. I can switch off the error by deleting a line in the constructor
>>of the pickled object...
>>
>>Summary so far, I can not unpickle my object if:
>>- The constructor of this object called (before pickling) a certain
>>method of an internally referenced object
>>- this internal object encapsulates an Numeric array
>>- the certain method deletes parts of this array (via Numeric.compress )
>>
>>Rings a bell for someone??
>

> I'd like to apply my SEP[1] field and say this is likely to be a bug
> in Numeric.  Not sure though.  Can you try just pickling & unpickling
> a Numeric.array that has had bits chopped out of it with .compress()?

You are right, sort of. The problem is narrowed down: It, basically,
seems impossible to unpickle a Numeric array of dictionaries (objects in
general?) in another interpreter instance. I, nevertheless, submitted
the bug report to the (more active) Python not the Numpy project. You
shouldn't get a segfault, after all...

Well, I guess you could forward it to the Numpy team on grounds of [1] :)

Raik