Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Nov 29 03:08:17 EST 2002

Courageous wrote:

> A programmer not using Emacs or a Lisp-aware editor
> is much better served by:
>
> (something
>         (something
>                 (something
>                         something
>                 )
>         )
> )
>
> Misfortunately, this is entirely against standard Lisp style. Take
> it over to comp.lang.lisp, and ask them.

So when did I ever say this was not, exactly?

> You're not convincing me in the least, I might add. A decade of
> hearing from every corner of the Lisp community that a Lisp-aware
> editor is the only way to program Lisp cannot be undone by a lone
> voice on usenet.

I'm not entirely clear of what you thought I was attempting to convince
you of.  I simply said that even a non-Lisp aware editor will do
reasonable things with pointing out closing parentheses, since these are
so common in modern languages.

I can enter _C_ mode in emacs, and type

	(something
	 (something
	  (something
	   (something))))

with a return and a tab after each of the first three "somethings."
When typing each close parenthesis, it highlights the corresponding open
parenthesis.  And this is in _C_ mode, not Lisp mode.

My point was not that Lisp programming is not facilitated by a
Lisp-aware editor.  I'm an emacs user myself, and am fully aware of
standard Lisp notations, and am fully ware of lisp-mode in emacs.

I simply said that even with a totally non-Lisp aware editor,
programmers are not left to the task _counting_ parentheses.
Indentation may certainly be problematic if their editor thinks they are
programming in some other language, but any competent programmers
editor, Lisp-aware or not, will match parentheses for you.

/  \ Give me chastity, but not yet.
\__/ St. Augustine
    Bosskey.net: Return to Wolfenstein / http://www.bosskey.net/rtcw/
 A personal guide to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.