Distributing python applications for Windows users

Thomas Guettler pan-newsreader at thomas-guettler.de
Thu Nov 28 12:22:29 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 17:06:49 +0100, Martyn Quick wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Simon Brunning wrote:
>>
>> I like py2exe - <http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/>.
>
> How exactly do you use py2exe?  Do I have to list all parts of my
> program in the setup command, or just the script that I call to run it?
>
> I did try using py2exe, but it complained that it couldn't find os.path
> which I was importing.  I then switched to importing os instead and
> py2exe then worked, but the exe file it produced didn't do anything.
>
> Perhaps I've found a bug, but more likely I'm doing something wrong.

I think it is important that you use the correct version. py2exe
can be downloaded for the latest python versions.

I use it like this:

# setup.py
from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(name="uploadclient",
      scripts=["uploadclient.py"],
          )

than run it:
python setup.py py2exe
--> The result is in dist/uploadclient/uploadclient.exe

Unfortunately there are some other files (python.dll) which is needed,
too.

I do the installer with INNO Setup.

Hope that helps

  thomas