Member variable in object spontaneously turns to None

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun Nov 10 03:22:29 EST 2002

Norbert wrote:
> print "%d" % matrix[1][1].x
>   None
>
> I am perplexed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

So am I: I think the latter behavior is impossible -- if that x attribute
was None, no matter how it became so, you'd get a TypeError
from the formatting operator (since you're using %d, not %s) --
a result string of 'None' from '%d'%... is impossible for any RHS
operand of %.  I'm completely unable to reproduce the problem
you report.

Can you please try to reproduce the problem in a small complete
script?  Otherwise I'll have to assume that what you posted was
not a copy-and-paste of observed behavior, but a summary that
happened to omit crucial information.

Alex