Parsing & question about usages off classes!

Frans frans at haarman.com
Sun Nov 3 16:14:38 EST 2002

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Can you explain why you think you want a new list with the name "some"?
> If you can dig down to your real requirements and express them here,
> we can probably show you how to approach the problem in a more
> workable fashion.

Ok. Here we go.

I am very new with python as you have guessed! For school I can choose
my own projects and earn credits with them so I choose to build
something in python.

I want to make a program which uses analogs computer output. From the
output I want to create nice websites with graphics.

Example lines off analogs computer output:

                  R       P       ----   DATE ----------------
D	RP	901	133	2002	09	18
H	RP	6	6	2002	10	26	00
W	RP	3347	662	2002	10	06

D H w being differnt reports. RP meaning Request and Pages. Now I need
to read all these lines into python and then do stuff to extract the data.

I wanted to put the D lines in the list DAILY. Analogs computer output
has around 30 or 40 different reports. So using longer names might make
my code a bit more readable. Which is nice if other people ever decide
to do something with it :)
So I thought I would do the following:

short=['D','H','W']
long=['DAILY','HOURLY','WEEKLY']

information = string.split(logline,'\t')

DAILY.append(information)

Giving me a list DAILY. The list DAILY would contain other lists, and
those lists would containt loglines which started with a D.

After reading all lines from my logfile I would have serveral lists
which I could then use for futher processing.

Futher processing would be:

* creating HTML for output to browser
* creating gfx to visualize statistics
* whatever I come up with