Pythoncal, anyone? (My (late) beef with Simple Generator syntax (PEP 255))

Jeremy Bowers newsfroups at jerf.org
Mon Nov 18 23:52:48 EST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:26:34 +1300, Greg Ewing wrote:

> I have an idea: Suppose there were a "don't"
> statement that could be put in front of another
> that would otherwise be required in a statement
> covered by a "don't", leaving just
>
>   def g():
>     don't yield

That would interact poorly with the other established constructs one would
expect to see in Pythoncal. What the hell does the compiler do with

def stupid():
    don't come from beginning

? You can't call it Pythoncal if it can't "come from".

Still, don't might be worth adding none the less...

don't try:
    f = file("something", "w")
except exceptions.DidntTryNonError:
    pass

A great way to comment out code that happened to be in a try construct in
the first place.