Newbie- how to basics

Robin Munn rmunn at pobox.com
Fri Nov 8 04:21:27 EST 2002

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 at 00:00 GMT, Tony C <cappy2112 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've gone through much of the documentation included with Python
> 2.2.2, but can find any kind of reference on how to clear the screen
> from a python script, or at the command line.

If you're on Unix look at the ncurses module. I can't give you more
details as I haven't yet examined it myself, but the documentation
should tell you all you need to know.

> Another useful feature would be command line history (up arrow, down
> arrow, etc), like in the Unix shells.

If you have the GNU readline library installed before you compile
Python, this should happen automatically. If it hasn't, re-compile
Python and include it. Or grab ipython as some other people suggested;
it's also very nice.

> Would ssomeone point me to some docs (specific locations) which
> descibe these features ?

Google for ipython; it'll turn up. And the ncurses module is documented
in the standard Python docs.

--
Robin Munn <rmunn at pobox.com>
http://www.rmunn.com/