Popular conceit about learning programming languages

maney at pobox.com maney at pobox.com
Mon Nov 25 23:03:34 EST 2002

Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> wrote:
> maney at pobox.com wrote:
>> support) made much more convenient.  This is Monday, so today I'll say
>> it was the former, handwaving; on Tuesdays I prefer the metaphor as
>> pedagogical device.  And so it goes through the week...
>
> Do I sense some irony here? ;)

You know the joke about how to reconcile the dual nature of light?
Let's see... ah, yes, I can at least make the form topical!

    # setup
    light = {
        'Monday': 'particle',
        'Tuesday': 'wave',
        'Wednesday': 'particle',
        'Thursday': 'wave',
        'Friday': 'particle',
        'Saturday': 'wave'
    }

    #punchline
    light['Sunday'] = 'luminiferous ether'

You're right, though, I didn't quite hit the target with "handwaving".
Bad vibes from all the overdone hype of years gone by skewed that part
of the description, I'm afraid.