A really bad idea.

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Thu Nov 14 13:51:03 EST 2002

In article <c0abefc3.0211140738.635c0e6d at posting.google.com>,
marvelan at hotmail.com (M) wrote:
>The new enumerate or zip function. If you look at the code using this function
>it is not at all obvious what the code does. Let say a programmer that knows
>10 other languages looks at this code. I don't think he would right away
>understand what this function does. This construct is not obvious. Generators
>are another thing that are just horrible. They just don't work in a way
>that one would expect from previous experience.

   If you were to think database tables, imagine you had a
list of part numbers, a list of part descriptions, a list of
prices, etc. all corresponding.

   `zip` could put these into a list of tuples, each one a
row containing a corresonding part number, part description
and price.

   Quite simple, really.

>I understand that one will like to add features to a language in order to
>make it more powerfull. But I argue that this must be done in a way so that
>programmers of *different skill levels* will understand the code.

   Different, yes, but not all.  Most of us here are
who/what we are because at various times in our lives we
decided we had to become more skillful.

        Regards.        Mel.