Python 2.2.2 on OS/390 V2R10

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Sun Nov 3 08:41:51 EST 2002

"pu" <pu at myRealBox.com> wrote in message news:3dc50045_2 at news.vo.lu...
> > If it runs under USS, then it's callable from JCL. Check your JCL
> > manual for the method of running Posix programs. I seriously
> > doubt that it would be accessable from CICS, and I wonder
> > why anyone would want to?
>
> Well, I could imagine writing a CICS program / transaction that's
written in
> Python, same as for REXX; but basically you are right.
>
> > If someone wants to _hire_ me to do the port I'll send you my
> > email address privately.
>
> I am currently doing a small study to see how and if Python might be
used by
> our three teams (Windows, AIX and OS/390). I doubt that it will be an
option
> for the latter, they just adore REXX, especially under TSO, for
scripting.

> Anyway, I'll let this newsgroup know if porting REXX to OS/390 is an
option.

I presume you meant porting Python [grin.] However, the problem
escalates significantly if you want to duplicate REXX's integration with
TSO. That's a closed interface, so I'd have to brush off my MVS hacking
skills to get it in.

Also, I believe REXX is availible for all three environments. AFIC, it's
a typical kludge scripting language, but it does work.

John Roth