gc (was Re: Why is Python popular, while Lisp and Scheme aren't?)

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Nov 21 08:33:58 EST 2002

Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:

> My correspondent did not specify, but is this provided by the
> optional GC module, or is it now just part of core Python?

It is in the core.  The gc module is used to tune and query the cycle
collector.

It is possible to turn the collector off at compile time in all
released versions of Python -- it won't be in 2.3 -- but as roughly
noone ever does this, I think this fact is ignorable.

Cheers,
M.

--
  I have a feeling that any simple problem can be made arbitrarily
  difficult by imposing a suitably heavy administrative process