Python documentation in DocBook

DaveP DaveP at NEARLYdpawson.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 13 14:43:56 EST 2002

martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) wrote in
news:m3u1imzcs6.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de:

> DaveP <DaveP at NEARLYdpawson.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> Actually converting the documentation can't happen until two obstacles
> are taken:
>
> - there must be tools to process the resulting XML, such tools are
>   currently not available. We would require HTML, Latex, and texinfo
>   output, perhaps Windows CHM (whatever that is) as well. No such
>   tools are available at the moment.

I believe this to be wrong.
 HTML, PS (guessing that's why you want Latex?) Windows help and PDF
are all available for docbook. texinfo quite possibly if its a common
need. Mail me off list if you are interested.

> - Documentation authors must be educated on how to use this DTD. This
>   will be quite a difficult task, especially as everybody uses text
>   editors to manipulate the XML, and will complain that the XML is so
>   much more verbose and unforgiving than LaTeX.

I won't disagree with you there :-)
 Did you have the same trouble moving from plain text to \latex?

> Remember, the documentation format should suit documentation authors,

OK.

Just curious why you aren't using quills/biro's.

Regards DaveP.
I think I've said my piece.