UDP broadcasts => 'Permission denied'

Christian Kaenzig christian at becool.ch
Mon Nov 4 17:47:51 EST 2002

Hello.

I'm quite a newbie in python and I'm having some trouble with networking
(Linux 2.4.18 (debian), Python 2.2.2) :

I tried some code I've found on the net which implement a simple client and
server which just echoes some data. This worked fine :-).

But then I wanted the client not to send its data explicitely to the server,
but send a broadcast packet instead, so I told the client to send it to
'<broadcast>'. This didn't work :-(. It printed the folowing message :

s.sendto('Hello world',(HOST, PORT))
socket.error: (13, 'Permission denied')

After 2-3 hours of searching google and others, I finally gave up. Does
someone of you have any kind of clue ?? Or a link to any useful documention ??

Thanx very much, bye.
Chris