Python documentation in DocBook

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Nov 15 06:35:24 EST 2002

anton at vredegoor.doge.nl (Anton Vredegoor) writes:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:07:53 GMT, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net>
> wrote:
>
> >The main reason we want you to log in is so we have some chance of
> >giving feedback.  There were too many occasions (bugs in particular)
> >where anonymous reporters were asked for more information and failed
> >to give it.
> >
> >Bug reporting and patch submission is a two way process -- knowing who
> >the other end is is a great help.
>
> That sounds reasonable but the problem is that as the receiver of a
> donation you are not in a good bargaining position.

But by using Python YOU are in the receiving position, too.

> Requiring identification instead of just asking for it will cause a
> lot of information to be filtered out even before its gets a chance
> to be evaluated.

It was our experience that asking for information was not sufficient.
Hence, the requirement.

> If someone submits a bug fix but you can't reproduce the bug yourself
> and the submitter is not reachable anymore you loose nothing but the
> time invested in tracking the bug.

That's too much.  Far too much.  Time is the most precious resource of
the Python developers.  Most of us give more than we have as it is.

> How much time to invest in a bug report can be determined by some
> smart automatized procedure

?  Seems unlikely.

> but this has to be done *after* receiving the bug report, not
> before.

Well, of course.  You can think of anonymous bug reports being
rejected at the first hurdle if you like.

For all of this discussion, I really don't think this is going to
change.  Python's bugs and patches might move off sf one day, but I
doubt the restrictions on anonymous bugs will be lifted.

Cheers,
M.

--
  nonono,  while we're making wild  conjectures about the behavior
  of completely irrelevant tasks, we must not also make serious