need help porting ctypes to Linux

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Nov 20 07:04:29 EST 2002

Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> writes:

> 3.  When my extension does something wrong, I see
> 'Speicherzugriffsfehler' ('access violation' or so) printed on the
> console.  Why isn't a core dump (for examination) created?

Possibly because your Linux vendor thinks you're a wet-behind-the-ears
grandfather who would be scared by a core file.  Try executing

ulimit -c unlimited

before running your program.

> Do I have to enable this?  Or is it possible to configure gdb so
> that it will automatically pop up to examine the program's state?

If you run your program under gdb (i.e. execute

$ gdb python

and type "run") then any signal -- including sig 11 -- will dump you
into gdb.

Cheers,
M.

--
  That's why the smartest companies use Common Lisp, but lie about it
  so all their competitors think Lisp is slow and C++ is fast.  (This