Python IRC dictatorship

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon Nov 25 01:27:45 EST 2002

Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Python Dicktatorshit.
[snip irc log]

Hey,

Too bad I wasn't around on irc at that time, I would've enjoyed this
discussion. The reason why people were turning the discussion into
"you don't need threads. threads are evil" is because the system-global
variable system you seem to be proposing has some related issues.

If you want globally shared data (which is something you do get
in multithreaded programming as well) you will run into various issues;
what if you're working with a certain variable (for instance looping through
it) and someone changes it in the middle of your loop to some completely
different value? This is possible as some other process can do this.
There are a host of problems with this kind of thing.

There are ways to handle this using a variety of programming techniques.
People were asking what your goals were to try to figure out what techniques
would be best for you. You seemed to believe the problems did not exist
and you were asking for something really simple.

Regards,

Martijn