[Announce] Gnosis Utils 1.0.5

David Mertz, Ph.D. mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Nov 16 16:51:10 EST 2002

This release contains two major bugfixes, and several improvements:

   * gnosis.xml.pickle now works with PyXML 0.8.x (and earlier, of course).
   * Bugfix in handling of initargs in gnosis.xml.pickle.
   * Print warning during installation if xml.minidom is missing/broken.
   * (Packaging) Fixed generation of PKG-INFO.
   * Fix to let gnosis run in a standalone (e.g. py2exe) environment.
   * Improvements to xml.pickle.test suite
   * Documentation updates to xml.pickle.doc

It may be obtained at:
   http://gnosis.cx/download/Gnosis_Utils-1.0.5.tar.gz

The current release is always available as:
   http://gnosis.cx/download/Gnosis_Utils-current.tar.gz

Try it out, have fun, send feedback!

David Mertz (mertz at gnosis.cx)
Frank McIngvale (frankm at hiwaay.net)

DIGRESSION:  A user proposed improvements to gnosis.indexer to enable
word-stemming and positional indices.  The latter would enable proximity
searches, although that is not yet implemented.  I find the proposed
code, however, in need of a bit of refactoring, and I have not tested
it.  If anyone wants this code to play with, let me know; if anyone with
more time than me wants to take on the actual refactoring and testing, I
would be overjoyed.  -dqm

BACKGROUND:  Gnosis Utilities contains a number of Python libraries, most
(but not all) related to working with XML.  These include:

    gnosis.xml.pickle       (XML pickling of Python objects)
    gnosis.xml.objectify    (Any XML to "native" Python objects)
    gnosis.xml.validity     (Enforce validity constraints)
    gnosis.xml.indexer      (XPATH indexing of XML documents)
    gnosis.indexer          (Full-text indexing/searching)
    [...].convert.txt2html  (Convert ASCII source files to HTML)
    gnosis.util.dtd2sql     (DTD -> SQL 'CREATE TABLE' statements)
    gnosis.util.sql2dtd     (SQL query -> DTD for query results)
    gnosis.util.xml2sql     (XML -> SQL 'INSERT INTO' statements)
    gnosis.util.combinators (Combinatorial higher-order functions)
    gnosis.util.introspect  (Introspect Python objects)

...and so much more! :-)

SUMMARY:
<P><A HREF="http://gnosis.cx/download/Gnosis_Utils.ANNOUNCE">
Gnosis_Utils 1.0.5</A>  (16-Nov-02)