Tim Lavoie tool_man at spamcop.net
Fri Nov 8 11:06:01 EST 2002

    TG> My guess is that Lisp appeals to people who like predicate
    TG> logic and Python appeals to people who like to deliver
    TG> software.

    TG> Lisp has been the mainstay of a lot of traditional AI courses
    TG> for donkeys years, Python has been picked up by a lot of the
    TG> new generation of programmers who learnt their trade on
    TG> scripted web applications and needed something quick, clear
    TG> and flexible to get the job done as quickly and painlessly as
    TG> possible.

    TG> I'm not at all familiar with Scheme.

My guess is that Lisp doesn't appeal to those who fear anything which
"looks funny", and Python delivers some of the same benefits without
scaring anybody.

New programming languages affect the way you think, some more
gradually than others. Python gives you a little syntax to get over at
first, but the funkier bits can lurk in the background until the user
is ready for them. Lisp is more of a leap at first, but popularity
aside, the mental exercise would do some good. Even if they decide not
to use it, people will have still learned something. Ditto for lots of
other languages too, especially the stranger ones. I still haven't
figured out how to slide some Intercal in at work though...  :)

--
Pascal is a language for children wanting to be naughty.
                -- Dr. Kasi Ananthanarayanan